At Grok Academy, our mission is to educate all learners in transformative computing skills, knowledge and dispositions, empowering them to meet the challenges and seize the opportunities of the future. To us, computing encompasses basic digital literacy through to advance computer science and related disciplines, and the application of these skills across all disciplines.
Our passion is education, and we’re looking for people who share that passion to join us as we
reinvent learning for students across Australia and the world. We don’t just build resources for
students – we build interactive learning experiences that excite and challenge students. We want to
see every student succeed, whether they’re in pre-school, K-12, the tertiary sector or engaging in
their own self-paced learning.
We believe our platform is a fantastic way to develop a deep understanding (that’s what Grok
means!) of computer science, and we’re looking for someone who wants to share that
understanding and inspire the next generation to code.
As a Security Engineer for Grok Academy you will be key in defining and implementing our security
policies, tools and infrastructure for our next generation learning platform.
We need someone who:
- has experience in developing secure solutions in a public cloud for at least 3 years,
- can define and develop security policies in line with industry and government standards,
- can ensure that our applications and cloud infrastructure are secure and provide guidance
on how to further secure our products and educating engineers on secure SDLC practices,
- can conduct audits in conjunction with third parties, assess vulnerable systems and
packages, and work with engineers to remediate,
- has excellent interpersonal skills with a high degree of empathy and emotional intelligence,
- has great troubleshooting skills and can break down complex technical tasks,
- can manage time effectively and work independently in a goal-focused environment,
- is a team player and can be a mentor for other team members.
We are hiring for a Senior Security Engineer role in our growing engineering team. Roles are
available for full-time or part-time staff. Our offices are in Sydney, but we have employees working
across Australia and are open to hiring from anywhere in Australia
At Grok we are inspired by our purpose - we learn about education and technology every day and
share our learning with our community. All staff are employed under the Grok Academy Group
Enterprise Agreement, which offers generous salary and conditions including:
- A 35-hour working week;
- flexible working arrangements to promote a work-life balance,
- generous leave entitlements, including annual shutdown and up to 26 weeks of paid parental leave (12 weeks for the non-primary carer); and
- Salary packaging arrangements.
How to apply
Send an email to Kylie Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following:
- A 1-2 page response with reference to the position description explaining:
- why you want the role
- what you would bring to the role and what you would get out of it; and
- an achievement that you are most proud of.
- A current curriculum vitae; and
- Two referees with a thorough knowledge of your work performance.
Any offer of a position will be subject to a Working with Children Check and National Police Check.
Your position as a Software Engineer will include but is not limited to the following duties:
- Designing, managing, and monitoring our cloud and on-premises infrastructure to support
our products and operations;
- Ensuring our infrastructure is secure, highly available, and robust;
- Designing, documenting, and maintaining our cloud services and system monitoring;
- Managing risk by planning and testing disaster recovery scenarios, and providing input into
our business processes and policies;
- Providing leadership on cyber security, maintaining our security policies and processes, and
ensuring our systems are private, secure, and robust against attacks;
- Reporting on our security posture and compliance to management and the board as
- Managing compliance with external security requirements, including responding to requests
for information from external parties, and implementing recommendations as required;
- Resolving and documenting urgent technical issues that affect site reliability;
- Proactively reporting and documenting site outages, data breaches, and security issues and
their underlying cause;
- Contribute to staff training on cyber security and privacy policies and procedures;
- Managing and configuring our third-party software for operations across the business;
- Provide software and hardware technical support to staff.
All staff will:
- Collaborate with your team (communicate, help, coach and learn from each other) to
achieve team or project objectives.
- Work effectively with your manager to perform your role.
- Evaluate your work against Grok’s strategic goals.
- Perform other work as reasonably directed by management.