In addition to all of our online material and embedded teacher notes, we've put together some teaching resources for you. We'll be adding more over time so check back here often!
In the Classroom
Lesson plans/Project ideas
Monster Maker Lesson Plan - Blockly
Programming in Primary School - Introducing if statements
Turtle Flowers Coding Project
5 Beginner Coding Projects
Coding tips and advice
Top 7 debugging tips for beginners
Become a Timelord with the BBC micro:bit
Slides covering content of the NCSS Challenge Beginners stream:
- Week 1 Part 1: strings, variables, user input
- Week 1 Part 2: variables, calculations, numbers, python turtle
- Week 2 Part 1: if statements
- Week 2 Part 2: strings, python turtle
- Week 3 Part 1: string methods, string indexing
- Week 3 Part 2: for loops, range, comments, python turtle
- Week 4 Part 1: while loops, counters
- Week 4 Part 2: string slices, decisions in loops, python turtle
- Week 5 Part 1: lists, list methods
- Week 5 Part 2: splitting and joining lists, python turtle
Python 3 cheatsheet poster for your classroom
Python 3 cheatsheet poster for your classroom (low colour version for printing)
Computational Thinking poster for your classroom
Letters to Parents
Why learn to code?
Online teacher PD workshops on Youtube: get.gl/pd-online2016
Decompress March 23 2018
ACCE 2016 September 29 - October 2 2016 Brisbane
- Katie Bell: Stop downloading. Start uploading. Students as creators not consumers on the web.
- Katie Bell and Vivian Li: Teaching students to solve problems with code in Python. Code. Create. Compete.
- Katie Bell and Vivian Li: Build a website and put it on the internet.
- James Curran: Programming in the Digital Technologies curriculum.
- Vivian Li and Katie Bell: Programming with turtles. Computational thinking meets spatial reasoning.
PyCon Australia's "Python in Education Seminar" August 12 2016 Melbourne
- Vivian Li: Teaching geometry using Logo/Python turtle module (slides) (video)
- Jim Mussared: MicroPython: Embedded programming for everyone (slides) (video)
"Coding In Schools" event February 15 2016 Brisbane
- James Curran and Nicky Ringland: Coding in the Australian Curriculum (slides)
"Implementing the Digital Technologies Curriculum" conference March 16-17 2016 Melbourne
- James Curran: Unpacking Digital Technologies (slides)
- James Curran: Teaching Digital Technologies in Secondary (slides)
ICTENSW March 11-13 2016 Sydney
- Katie Bell: Web Development and the (HTML) Element of Competition (slides)
SyPy March 3 2016 Sydney
- Tim Dawborn: Failing “Hello, name” & exception woes (slides)
"Improving STEM Education & Skills" conference October 16-17 2015 Melbourne
- James Curran: Computing in the Australian Curriculum (slides)
- James Curran: Implementing Digital Technologies masterclass (slides)